As part of an international movement, the American Red Cross launched its “Missing Types” campaign on June 11th. The purpose is to raise awareness of the need for blood donors to ensure lifesaving blood is available for patients. During the campaign, iconic corporate and civic brands, celebrities and other influential people will remove the letters A, O & B – the main blood groups – from their names, signage, websites and other platforms to illustrate the critical role that every blood donor plays.
Some interesting and astounding statistics;
- Every two seconds, someone in the US needs blood.
- 45% of the general public know someone who has been helped by a blood transfusion.
- It only takes about 30 minutes to give blood and it’s relatively painless and easy.
- For every unit of blood donated, 3 lives are impacted.
- You do not need to know your blood type to donate.
Please join the Chamber in its efforts to encourage blood donations in Jefferson County. Two opportunities to give are coming up this month. Make donating one of your summertime goals. You never know when the person in need of blood will be someone you love. Register to donate online at www.redcrossblood.org or by calling 1-800-733-2767.
Jefferson County Media Blood Donor Day
Wednesday, June 19th – 11:30 a.m. to 5:30 p.m. at St. Florian Hall, Wintersville
Jefferson County Veterans Service Commission Blood Drive
Thursday, June 27, 2019 from 11:30 – 4:30 at the Towers Building, 500 Market Street, 3rd Floor, Steubenville, Ohio.