Governor DeWine’s August 25th Press Conference
Below are the updates from yesterday’s press conference with Governor DeWine and Lt. Governor Husted. The next press conference is currently scheduled for Thursday, August 27th at 2:00 PM. You may watch it live on WTOV9.
- Ohio’s current COVID-19 case data:
- 110,343 confirmed cases
- 6,152 probable cases
- 116,495 total cases
- 12,956 hospitalizations
- 3,716 confirmed deaths
- 280 probable deaths
- 3,996 total deaths
- 2,903 ICU admissions
- 96,728 presumed recovered
- More data is available on the COVID-19 Dashboard
- Governor DeWine discussed the recently-issued Director’s Order that Provides Mandatory Requirements for Youth, Collegiate, Amateur, Club, and Professional Sports. The order limits the maximum number of spectators gathered at an outdoor sports venue to the lesser of 1,500 individuals or 15 percent of fixed, seated capacity. The maximum for indoor sports venues is the lesser of 300 individuals or 15 percent of fixed, seated capacity. If a venue has more room to permit additional socially-distanced spectator capacity, a variance provision in the order allows schools to request a higher spectator limit by submitting a plan in writing to their local health department and the Ohio Department of Health. The variance plan must include a justification for increased capacity and an explanation of how social distancing will be maintained between family groups.
- It is the responsibility of the school/venue to monitor and enforce the social distancing requirement, prohibition on congregating among spectators, and the other provisions outlined in the sports order. Evaluating a sports venue’s variance plan may require conversations with school/venue officials and a site visit. The Ohio Department of Health will rely upon local health departments to conduct the first assessment of the variance plan. Variances will not be granted to expand the number of fans beyond family members of both teams and others who may perform during the event.
- Interim Ohio Department of Health Director Lance Himes yesterday signed the Director’s Order that Provides Mandatory Requirements for Entertainment Venues.
- Governor DeWine reminded Ohio citizens to complete the 2020 Census. The Census determines how $675 billion is distributed among the states and Ohio’s representation in Congress. Those who have not yet completed the census can do so at 2020Census.govor by calling 1-844-330-2020.
- Governor Husted provided a reminder about the Ohio Diversity & Inclusion Technology Internship Program, which pairs college students with tech companies and any company with a technology-related need. The program is looking for additional businesses to apply. Visit development.ohio.gov for more information.
- Click here for the latest ranking of Ohio counties by highest COVID-19 case occurrences.